Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Collection Map Collection
Catalog Number 2014.17.87
Object Name Map
Description "Klingnaw/Leuggeren, Iohaniter haus/Monast. B. Mariae Maristellae alias Wettingen/Der mitlere Lauffen oder fall des Rheins, zhichen Zurzach und Coblentz (Klingnau, Leuggern, Wettingen Abbey, Switzerland)," Frankfurt, 1680, engraving, map by Matthaus Merian

Illustrated on this engraving are locations throughout Switzerland and Germany. The top left box is a view of Klingnau, Switzerland, which has a long history and was granted town rights in 1314. The legend for the view notes churches, important buildings and the "suburbs" (A). The city of Leuggern is illustrated in the second box, with its roots traced back to the early 13th century. This small view shows a church and other town buildings. The third city view is of the Wettingen Abbey, found in 1227 as a Cistercian monastery in Wettingen. Each of these cities are located in the Swiss canton of Aargau. The fourth box shows the Rhine River near Lauffen, Germany, winding south to Koblenz and Zurich, Switzerland.
Title Klingnaw/Leuggeren, Iohaniter haus/Monast. B. Mariae Maristellae alias Wettingen/Der mitlere Lauffen oder fall des Rheins, zhichen Zurzach und Coblentz (Klingnau, Leuggern, Wettingen Abbey, Switzerland)
Date 1680
Role of Creator Cartographer
Creator Merian, Matthaus
Medium ink
Material paper
Technique copperplate engraving
Dimensions H-12.375 W-14.5 inches
Credit line Gift of Jeffery M. Leving, Founder, Fathers’ Rights
Subjects Switzerland
Germany
Klingnau
Leuggern
Wettingen Abbey
Rhine River
Lauffen