"A Map of South Carolina and Part of Georgia," London, 1780, hand-colored engraving (framed in two pieces), map by John Stuart, after William Gerard De Brahm, published by William Faden
The original map was prepared by William Gerard De Brahm (1717–1799) and published by Thomas Jefferys, Geographer to the King, in 1757. The map was republished in 1780 by William Faden with additions by John Stuart, His Majesty’s Superintendent of Indian Affairs. This striking map of South Carolina and northern Georgia is the fundamental cartographic document of the region from the Colonial and Revolutionary eras. The author of the original map, De Brahm, immigrated to Georgia in 1751 and eventually became one of the most noted mapmakers in the American Southeast during the third quarter of the eighteenth century. In 1754, King George II appointed De Brahm surveyor general of Georgia, a post he shared with Henry Yonge. As part of this appointment, De Brahm was selected to oversee plans for fortifying Charleston, and he prepared proposals for erecting palisades to shelter the residents of several towns in Georgia in the event of a French attack. De Brahm also completed extensive surveys of coastal Georgia and South Carolina. In the course of his fieldwork he collected data on the climate, soil, flora, fauna, and changes in land patterns. In October 1752, he announced his intention to produce a map of the area and solicited information from plantation owners wishing to have their properties represented. In part, this project was a response to a 1750 mandate by the English Lords of Trade requiring each colony to produce an adequate map of the region. In its accuracy for the coastal area and its thoroughness for the region covered, De Brahm’s A Map of South Carolina and a Part of Georgia was far superior to any cartographical work for the Southern District that had gone before. De Brahm accurately illustrated the positions and courses of the rivers and their tributaries, located the myriad islands off the coast, and identified the parish settlements and boundaries on the South Carolina and Georgia coasts. A list of landowners in the lower right served as an index for locating individual holdings in both colonies. With this map, De Brahm inaugurated a new era in the mapping of the Southeast: a shift from the amateur to the professional, from the general outlines of the region to topographic accuracy.
|Title||A Map of South Carolina and Part of Georgia.|
|Role of Creator||Cartographer|
|Role of Creator 2||Cartographer|
|Creator 2||De Brahm, William Gerard|
|Dimensions||H-31.5 W-53 inches|
|Credit line||Gift of Orrin Lippoff|